Spring is the perfect time to visit Oregon. Although it tends to be a little rainy, the grass is green and the flowers are blooming. Every spring, the tulips are in full bloom at the Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm. The Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival has 120 different types of tulips and daffodils, and sits on 40 acres with gorgeous views of vineyards and mountains. The Oregon tulip festival is a beautiful array of rainbow colors and breathtaking views. If you’re planning a trip to Oregon, the tulip festival is one of the best things to do in Oregon. It’s not quite the magnitude of the tulip festival in Holland, but it’s definitely worth it! Bring some food or buy some at the tulip festival to enjoy a nice lunch with the beautiful tulips.
The Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival 2020 dates are March 20-May 3, 2020
The festival hours are Monday-Thursday 9am-6pm, Friday-Sunday 8am-7pm
What You'll Find in This Post
- 1 Where is the Oregon Tulip Festival?
- 2 When is the best time to visit the Tulip Festival?
- 3 Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival Prices
- 4 Things to do at the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival
- 5 Tips for attending the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival
- 6 Frequently asked questions
- 7 About the Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm
- 8 Things to do near the Tulip Festival
- 9 Hotels near Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival
- 10 Other Tulip Festivals to visit
Where is the Oregon Tulip Festival?
The wooden shoe tulip festival is located at the Wooden Shoe Farm in Woodburn, Oregon only 45 minutes from Portland and 30 minutes from Salem, making the festival an easy day trip from Portland. The Woodburn tulip farm is open daily for wine tasting and red barn hemp products.
The address of the tulip farm is 33814 S. Meridian Rd. Woodburn, OR 97071
From Portland, it takes about 45 minutes to get to the tulip farm. Its located on the opposite side of the freeway from the Woodburn outlets. From Portland, Take 1-5 south to exit 271, and follow signs to Mollala.
When is the best time to visit the Tulip Festival?
You’ll want to keep your eye on the field report to see how the tulips are blooming. Generally the colors and flowers are at their peak the second week in April. Weekends are busier but also have more activiites. If you have kids, the weekends might be the best time to come, as there are more activities and events to keep them busy3. If you want photos with less people, try to come during the week.
Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival Prices
Tickets are available for purchase online or at the gate entrance. It’s highly recommended to purchase online or bring cash if you are coming on a weekend.
Ticket prices are:
- Individual admission (available for one day between regular hours) = $5
- Family car (one day entrance for one car during regular hours) = $20
- A season pass (continual entrance between the 6 weeks for one car) = $40
Activities included in the ticket prices include parking, access to the tulip fields, childs play area, tram and hay rides to and from the tulip fields, and more!
Things to do at the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival
There are many events and activities that will be ongoing throughout the festival. There are more activities available on the weekends. The tulip festival is very family friendly, with many activities for kids and adults. There are also hot air balloons, weather-permitting, that will give you the chance to hang out in a tethered hot air balloon. The hot air balloons aren’t always a guarantee, so check their facebook page for updates. Some of these activities do cost extra.
Daily activies include:
- Cow train
- Field train
- Wooden Shoe vineyards tasting room
- Tulip market
- On-sitie food
- Coffee cart
Weekend activities include:
- Wooden shoe making demonstrations
- Local balloon artist
- Pony rides
- Additional kid activites
- Meet and greet Tulip the cow
- Wine wagon farm tour
Tips for attending the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival
- Visit early in the day or late in the evening. Weekdays are the best time to go as there are less people
- Check the field report for updates on the status of the tulips
- If you’re bringing your dog, make sure they are leashed, and you clean up after them
- Oregon is usually wet in the spring, so be prepared for rain and/or mud. Dress accordingly.
- Bring your own food and drinks, this will save you some money
Frequently asked questions
Can I bring my dog to the tulip farm? Yes! Dogs are welcome (but must be leashed) everyday throughout the festival. Theres even a muddy paws fun run for you and your dog to do together.
When is the best time to visit the tulip festival? That can depend on the weather. The tulips tend to bloom differently every year. Keep your eye on the field report to check the status of the tulips.
Are there any special events at the tulip festival? There are many special events during the duration of the tulip festival, like the Tulip trail run and the muddy paws fun run. Check the website for special events occuring at the tulip farm.
About the Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm
The Wooden Shoe Farm started in 1950, and began growing tulips in 1974. In 1983 they stared the Wooden Shoe Bulb Company, which later turned into the Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm. What started a small production, Now the fields are open each year for a month, with tons of visitors.
Things to do near the Tulip Festival
- Shop at the Woodburn Outlet mall
- Hike Silver Falls State Park
- Visit the Oregon Gardens in Silverton
- Bauman’s Farm and Garden
- Visit the Bavarian-themed town of Mt. Angel
Hotels near Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival
- La quinta – Woodburn
- Best western – Woodbun
- The Grand Hotel – Salem
- The Vintages – Dundee
- Oregon Garden Resort – Silverton
Check out these cute places if you’re looking for some unique places to stay in Oregon
Other Tulip Festivals to visit
While the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival is not quite to the level of the tulips in the Netherlands, it does deserve a visit. If you’re looking for some of the best tulip festivals aroud here are some other popular ones.
- Keukenhof in Lisse, Netherlands March 21-May 19, 2019
- Skagit Tulip Festival in Mt Vernon, WA April 1-30, 2019
- Tulip Time Festival in Holland, MI USA May 4-May 12, 2019
- Ottawa Tulip Festival in Ottawa, Canada May 10-20, 2019
If you’re planning a trip to Oregon in the spring, make sure you plan to visit the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival. The tulips are gorgeous, there are plenty of kid-friendly activites and the views are beautiful! Oregon’s tulip festival is definitely a must-do!
Have you visited any tulip festivals? Where is your favorite tulip festival or which one are you wanting to visit?
Want to learn how to travel more?