Two things that we enjoy are fitness and travel, hence our blog name. In our lives, the two things are pretty separate as we do our fitness training at work and then enjoy our travels while away. Although the two do combine, as we try our hardest to keep a healthy lifestyle with food and workouts while we travel. We area always looking for new and exciting ways to keep fit while on the road. One thing that had never crossed our minds until recently, which also seems to be growing rapidly in popularity, is what is known as a “Fitness Retreat”. Its pretty self-explanatory really but it’s a vacation centered around fitness or health. Now we have yet to participate in one but we have been doing our research and have become very intrigued, so intrigued that we now have 4 fitness retreats that we are dying to go to! In the meantime, we have done lots of research for you if you are looking for a fitness retreat to attend in 2017.
We’ve found many retreats but here are the 4 that have spiked our interest the most. During our search we have found that most retreats provide some type of yoga, although not 100% revolve around it. The reasoning behind it? Besides yoga being amazing for your body’s strength and flexibility, it is also extremely relaxing. An important part of going on vacation is to get away and relax from the hustle and bustle of our busy lives at home. Here are 4 fitness retreats we are dying to try in 2017.
1. Fit Destinations Off the Beaten Path Yoga Retreat
Dates: May 14-20, 2017
Location: Casa del Sol in Montanita, Ecuador
One of the top ranked surf spots in the world, Casa del Sol is just steps away from the beach. What we love about the retreat put on by Fit Destinations is the focus they put on providing a cultural experience. The retreat will include a volunteer element with a portion of each trip sale going back to the local community. The retreat is very budget friendly, especially when you see what all is included.
- morning and evening yoga sessions
- round trip transportation from Guayaquil airport to Montanita
- A welcome dinner
- Breakfast & Lunch daily
- A SUP day trip to Salinas, Ecuador
- A visit to Bromelia Nature Lodge and Healing Center: experience a Qui Gong class and a night of tapas and wine
- A Group Ecuadorian Cooking Class – take home some culture
- A unique volunteer experience: Fit Destinations has committed to donating towards a local cause chosen by Casa del Sol and we want you to get hands on while visiting this beautiful country.
- A farewell dinner and bonfire on the beach
Pricing: (based on double occupancy) Deluxe Room with a King Size Bed: $1,325 p/p. Standard Room with a Queen Size Bed: $1,285 p/p. Also available is dorm style rooms for 1255 p/p
2. New Horizon Active Escapes Fitness Retreat
Dates: April 17-24, 2017
Location: Koh Tao, Thailand
New Horizon has an awesome agenda with a ton of activities, but also plenty of time to relax and enjoy the scenery. Staying at a 5 star luxury villa, there will be delicious food along some of the prettiest beaches in the world, all while getting stronger, healthier, and rejuvenated.
- 7 Nights at a 5* Luxury Villa
- All Transfers on Koh Tao
- Exclusive Training Sessions With Tee Major
- Daily Group Workouts (Individual workouts on request)
- Yoga Sessions
- Workshops & Demonstrations
- Daily Activities & Excursions (Rock Climbing, Hiking, Water-Sports)
- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner & Snacks Daily
- Trip to Koh Nangyuan for sightseeing & snorkeling
Pricing: Double room for 2 people £2160 (2418 p/p), Private Room For 1 Person £1,340 (1500)
**also one available in Bali in 2017 as well- more info online
3. Papaya Wellness Luxury Surf and Yoga Retreat
Dates: Feb 10-16th or March 24-30
Location: Hacienda Iguana, Nicaragua
Papaya Wellness is the result of years of dedication to health, balance, enjoyment, and discovery. Relax in the pool in between surf sessions and practice yoga and pilates by the ocean. Eat healthy, fresh, seafood fare, and embrace yourself in the Nicaraguan culture. A percentage of the retreat package is donated directly to supporting community health in Playa Gigante via the community health center.
- Airport shuttles
- 6 Nights accommodation in a luxury beach front. All rooms with air conditioning, private bathrooms and showers, and two full size pillow top beds
- 3 Nutritionally balanced and inspired vegetarian and seafood meals daily
- Fresh fruit smoothies, juices, local fair trade coffee and filtered water
- 2 Daily yoga / pilates lead by an experienced instructor
- 1 Complimentary massage and pedicure
- 3 Surf lessons at wave out front `Los Perros`, includes board hire
- 1 Surf lesson and excursion with lunch included
- Karma Yoga day. Get involved with the local community, have fun through cultural exchange- local cooking
- Free wifi
Pricing: Single occupancy private room: $2150/person, Double occupancy $1805/person
4. Yogascapes Yoga with Rachelle
Dates: January 10-16, 2017
Location: Maderas Village, San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua
Maderas Village is a tropical paradise on the hills overlooking the best surf spot in Nicaragua. Join Rachelle Tratt for a week of inspiring yoga, surf lessons, relaxation, and delicious food in one of the best surf countries. Daily yoga practices in the open air, alongside amazing meals, great surf lessons, and other activities like catamaran tour, horseback riding, and massages.
- 6 nights eco-chic/rustic accommodations at Maderas Village
- Delicious and Nourishing breakfasts, lunches and dinners daily
- 1-2 yoga classes daily with Rachelle
- 2 Group Surf Lessons with our knowledgeable and experienced local guides
- All the adventure + fun that you can handle
Pricing: dorm room bed:$1595/person, private room with 2 people $1899/person
There are so many amazing health and fitness retreats out there but these are the top 4 fitness retreats that we have put on our travel wish list. Who knows, we may just see you at one of these retreats next year!
Have you participated in any fitness retreats? If so, we would love to hear your opinions and experiences on them.
Want to learn how to travel more?
Like what you're reading and want to find out how you can travel the world more frequently? Join us as we'll send you all our new and exciting travel posts, and soon you'll be traveling too!